More clearing...

Cleared.
Route from the Cottage to the House

Definition of thoroughfare : a way through from one area to another, a route which is clear and easy to navigate.

It's different to a path, which of course is allowed to get overgrown, or go nowhere, or even stop. A path never guarantees safe passage, but a thoroughfare does. It must.

Monday 5th August

I've been clearing thoroughfares. First, the route from the house lawn through into the pond paddock (and therefore over to the cottage). I chopped out some huge Anemenathele grasses, and seriously widened the path. It took me ages.

Excellent!

Now I can get to and from my cottage without tripping over vegetation, or my clothes getting wet from dripping foliage. And without losing my balance trying to avoid obstacles in the dark, falling into the garden, and dropping all the cat food. Excellent.

An original shrub.
Baby Pink Camellia

Then I cleared the route up the side of the house - trimmed ferns, dug Lamium out of the lawn, scooped up the mess. Said hello to the baby pink Camellia shrub, just starting to flower. This was a more cosmetic clearing, but the route leads up to the washing line - so it's really important? Hmm...

Golden Smiles :
Golden Smiles (AKA Ivey Hall) is a cheerful yellow rose which deserves better growing conditions than I've been giving it!

But well done me. I finished the day with a modest bonfire. Took the opportunity to prune some nearby roses, and decided that the Cotoneaster which is completely smothering the rose Golden Smiles has to go. Then Golden Smiles might smile again!