Fill up the gaps...

I am going to sit down somewhere in the garden and do some weeding. I will find a sunny place. But - and this is important - I need to either fill up the gaps created with plants, or cover them with mulch. Otherwise - guess what happens?

If they grow, they grow.
Astelia in Pieces

Replacement weeds...

A host of new weeds arrive to replace the ones I so carefully scoop out - witness the Allotment Garden. Humph. First of all I'll check the temperature. Yesterday it was five degrees Celsius all day, just a bit cold for my fingers.

Five hours later...

I've had a wonderful day. The Stables garden was super sunny, so I decided to start weeding in there. Became rather sidetracked dividing the silver Astelia and replanting the pieces. Also planted a rose and some daylilies. Then I moved over to the Allotment Garden. Worked really hard, but guess what? I didn't finish.

Thursday 22nd August

Came home from my ballet class full of fizz. Yes! I would finish that weeding. I would cover the soil with mulch. Easy as! I would just keep on going...

Not sure which variety this is.
Phormium in the Stables Garden

Well, I didn't. Only lasted two hours, hopeless. Came inside to play my piano. I am (again) playing Albeniz' virtuoso pieces from his Iberia Suite. These are my most favourite piano pieces in the world. Better than Brahms and Bach.

My stray feral cat.
Hello Speckles!

A challenge?

A challenge for tired gardening hands? Yes, but more so for the mind. Pages covered in black blobs and stalks with accidentals splattered around. Clusters of notes with hands crossed - and if just one of the notes right in the middle is wrong I can hear it. Sooooooo annoying.

Stopped after an hour, sat on a chair in the late afternoon sun with Fred on my lap to regroup and clear my head. Thought about the critters that keep me company in the garden. Like my tame brown-blackbird who pops out to check whenever I dump a load of weeds on the fence-line.

Like Speckles the stray, who is now turning up for his evening meals again. Check out his latest photograph! And Minimus my cottage cat who generously puts up with him burgling some of her food as well.

Oh so pretty.
Cinnamon Cindy Camellias

And I thought about spring - yeay! Spring is coming.