Better than none...

Pretty pink.
First Lupin Flower

Excuse my grammar, but the rhyme is irresistible. As far as gardening goes, one hour is better than none hours.

Thursday 10th October

So I've just spent one fruitful hour doing edges around a most beautifully freshly mowed lawn, with Winnie the dog keeping me company. Winnie is turning into a wobbly dog - her legs (particularly the back ones) are getting worse, losing their strength.

Relatively hopeless?

Earlier this morning I was relatively hopeless in my ballet class and rehearsal, so we are in sympathy. It's a bit sad. Two old wobblies...

Friday 11th October

And another day where one was better than none. When I got home from my music rehearsals (plural) today I saw that the flow in the water race was way down.

So I put on my gumboots and worked in there for an hour, chopping Phormium leaves and slicing out weedy grasses from amongst the Acorus. Fiddly work, and had to bend over a lot, so have a slightly achy back.

Now I have to do my piano practice, cook tea, sort out my Leonard Cohen music for a gig this Sunday, have a shower, and practice my ballet routines for a rehearsal tomorrow. All this while I'm quite tired and all I really feel like doing is watching an Adventurer on Youtube and then going to bed. Hmm...

Bedtime...

I joined the Baird brothers canoeing down the Hood River in the Arctic. Something I will only ever do in my dreams. Amazing landscape, amazing river. Night night.

Sunday 13th October

Yesterday I went to my ballet rehearsal. Practiced Leonard Cohen, sorted out some cute backing vocal lines. There was no time for the garden, which looks wonderful through the house windows.

Lovely Wisteria.
View From the House

It rained gently overnight. And yeay! Speckles my stray cat (missing for three days) turned up for his dinner, looking sleek and happy. No hisses.

Today I've already been out to sing alto in Vaughan Williams's Mass in G minor - a rather beautiful composition. I have also practiced my Leonard Cohen songs and trimmed a lot of lawn edges. Wish me luck.

Home from my gig...

Aargh! The guitarist went rogue, wrong keys, wrong chords, changed the order, changed the intros, and - aargh! - midway through the second half his guitar went out of tune. But hey! I just played less notes and smiled a lot. And my singer sounded beautiful. What a hoot!