Seven years...

I hope that seven year cycles don't apply to snow. Looking back through my journals, my garden got seriously snow in the winters of 2003, 2011 and 2017 (average difference of seven years). In between, just a few inconsequential flakes.

Not very much.
Winnie in the snow 2017

Welcome to the winter of 2024, seven years later. Aargh! Am moderately happy with drizzle, rain, possibly sleet and hail, but definitely not snow. Branches break (my garden is full of evergreens). Things get seriously squashed (like the Phormiums).

This evergreen shrub breaks apart in snow.
Choisya Sundance

Have checked with Ms Google. Allow me to quote her : 'Seven-year cycles are more than just checkpoints in our life, as they also represent the profound changes that happen in our body, mind, and spirit. Each of them brings a wave of change that challenges us, helps us find our own identity, and develop both physically and mentally.'

Crikey! That's deep. I'm OK with these cycles. I just hope that they don't bring snow.

A striped hybrid, growing in the Hump Garden.
Winter Phormium

Thoughts for today...

Today it's very grey, cold, and rainy. The silliest thought I've had is to get into the water race and quickly (very quickly) trim some of the water-side Carexes. A sensible thought has been to stay snug and warm inside. A medium-sensible thought has been to put on my Goretex jacket, wander around, and take some photographs. We'll see.

An hour later...

Did just that. But was still tempted by the water race immersion idea. It would be a test of my endurance. Remind me - why exactly would I need to test this? Or would I be doing something silly just so I could write about it? And Non-Gardening Partner cheerfully tells me that it is going to rain for the next three days. Eek!

Much later...

I failed the test. I put on my merino long johns and top, then popped my head out the back door to check out the weather. No way. Too cold, too rainy. Not happy. But my garden was getting deep and meaningful rain, its free-draining soils accepting the water gratefully. Silly me, annoyed that the rain kept me cooped up inside (this of course was a nonsense - I'd 'cooped' myself up). Kept myself in the gardening zone by finding Camellia photographs and creating web-pages for my new favourites - Takanini and Cinnamon Cindy.

Monday 24th June

Today there is virtually no rain. This morning the doctor blasted my face blasted with liquid nitrogen. Maybe no close-up selfies until the blisters heal. My plan is to work hard all afternoon.

Three hours later...

Did so. Dug out the dead rhododendron Burnaby Centennial and a clump of unwanted species Crocosmias, then moved over to the start of Middle Bridge and dug out lots of ferns and Euphorbias. Planted the garlic cloves by the Herb Spiral.

One of my lovely girls...
Winnie the Dog

An interesting end to the day - sat down to do some weeding, realised too late that this was the 'Dog Toilet Garden'. Aargh! That, plus the temperature (about six degrees Celsius) and the quality of light (almost dark) were three good reasons to come inside, shower, put on warm clean clothes, and enjoy the log-burner.