Toughen up for July

A real favourite.
Cream Delight Phomium

The rain and drizzle have returned, but I'm doing my best to keep working in the garden. Have deliberately been taking my morning coffee and lunch outside, whatever the weather is doing. July is going to be my toughening-up month.

Yesterday...

Started yesterday. After working hard all morning, I sat down for a late lunch with gentle raindrops tickling my hands and the back of my neck. Nice feeling! Stayed there for quite a while, but when things got a bit more substantial I retreated inside.

And today...

Today a cold wind is whistling around. Took my morning coffee outside, then spent two hours raking leaves on Duck Lawn, my tame blackbird following close behind. He finds me within minutes of me arriving with my wheelbarrow and tools. Clever. You are the best bird, I tell him. Or her.

Oak leaves to go into bags.
Clearing Up Duck Lawn

I also cleared and re-organised some paths, and trimmed things (more dead leaves off more Phormiums). Just looked to see what I thought needed doing, and then did it. Kept warm by moving. Spread leaf mould around the Agapanthus by the Koru brick courtyard, and took some photographs of the nearby Camellia Takanini. It's flowering really early this year, a very deep, muddy blood-red colour (perhaps because of the rain and drizzle).

Such a subtle colour.
Takanini Camellias

And now, lunch on the Frisbee Lawn - with a few speckles of rain, a toasted sandwich, my dogs, and a hot cup of tea. Nice.

Fifteen minutes later..

So remind me. Why am I sitting outside wearing four top layers of merino, the cold wind blowing over my damp gardening jeans (and the legs therein), being slobbered on by two drooling dogs? Hmm. I've not even been thinking about my garden - just wondering how well the firewood logs I've collected will burn in the wood-burner. That's a sure sign to come inside, I reckon.