Older and Wiser...

Being older and wiser (by one day, hee hee), I need to do more of my gardening near the beautiful spring flowering shrubs and trees. Such visions of loveliness will put me in the very best of moods. And then I will garden for much longer...

In the Driveway Border, variety unknown.
Weeping Cherry Blossom

The out of sight, out of mind philosophy - since I don't often walk through the middle of the orchard, or take my morning coffee and a book out there, I won't spend all my time cleaning up the roses etc. But, of course, I have to start processing all the prunings. That means the bonfire. Perhaps an hour a day, just before sundown? Starting today?

This morning I weeded around the house. Dug out annoying violets, replanted self-sown Lychnis in their place. Watered everything while whispering sweet words of encouragement.

Beautiful!
Seat Underneath the Blossom Tree

Lunchtime I sat underneath the blossom tree on the purple seat, reconnecting with the beauty and gentle frailties of spring. Yeay! The honey bees buzzed in the flowers above, while fattie bumble bees hovered over fallen blossom petals on the lawn. A pair of silly shrieking pukekos ran past me quite close. Spring is here!

The mist beautiful rhododendron.
President Roosevelt Rhododendrons

Relocated...

In the afternoon I relocated to the Hump Garden to weed along the lawn edge, by the clumps of Muscari just flowering. Dug self-sown Campion out of the lawn, pulled out the Ceanothus (a transplanted shrub which hadn't survived its cross-town journey), replanted the final Rosa Woodsii fendleri in its place, and plonked the remaining irises around its perimeter.

Also found a place for an ornamental grass - a Miscanthus, I think. There's lots of room for new plants and shrubs - and weeds, hee hee. But the surrounding greenery (from Carex, Anemnathele grass, and Phormium) is very restful. And just as beautiful as blossom, in its own way.

Whooshy wind...

The wind whooshed delicately around my head. Even the weeds were gentle and compliant. No fierce roses to prune, no plodding with wheelbarrow laden with thorny canes. Phew!